Migraine Treatment in Cypress
If you have been suffering from migraine headaches or have a family history of migraines, your practitioner will be able to diagnose you based on this history. Migraine headaches can be very painful and vary in intensity and are often experienced with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
The urgent care providers at Right Choice Urgent Care provide testing and treatment for migraine headaches at our urgent care clinic in Cypress, TX. If you are experiencing symptoms of a migraine, contact Right Choice Urgent Care to discuss treatment. To schedule your appointment at our urgent care clinic, please call (281) 944-7900 or request an appointment online!
Symptoms of Migraines
There are several variations of symptoms a person can experience during a migraine headache. Here are some of the most common that are experienced:
- Pounding and throbbing pain that can affect the entire head, this pain can be moderate to severe
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
What triggers migraines?
Hormone changes in women can trigger migraines, especially before or during their periods, which is when a big drop in estrogen occurs.
It is also important to watch what you eat or drink. Certain foods, food additives, and drinks can trigger migraine headaches. It is advised to avoid foods with aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG), as well as salty foods.
Changes in the environment and stress have also been shown to trigger migraines. A sudden change of weather or barometric pressure can affect those who are sensitive to these changes.
People who have more stressful lifestyles are more prone to migraines. Relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation may help ease the pain and frequency of migraines.
When to seek professional treatment
Some symptoms being experienced may require you to seek immediate treatment by a doctor.
- An abrupt, severe headache
- A headache with a fever, seizures, numbness or trouble speaking
- A headache after a head injury
- A chronic headache that is worse after coughing
Treatment for Migraines
Seeking treatment for migraine headaches can help ease symptoms and prevent future attacks. There are plenty of pain-relieving medications and preventative medications that your physician may recommend or prescribe:
- Pain Relievers: such as aspirin or ibuprofen may be recommended to help treat mild migraines
- Triptans: a medication used often in treating migraines by making the blood vessels constrict and block pain pathways to the brain
- Ergots: a combination of ergotamine and caffeine, which is recommended for those who experience the symptoms for more than 48 hours
- Anti-Nausea Medications: this is typically combined with other medications
- Opioid medications: for those who cannot handle triptans or ergots, opioid medications may be recommended
Alternative Treatment for Migraines
If you are opposed to taking medication for your migraine headaches, a more non-traditional therapy may help ease the symptoms of your headache.
- Biofeedback: a relaxation technique that used special equipment to help you monitor and control stress
- Massage Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: this type of psychotherapy teaches you how behaviors and thoughts affect how you perceive pain
- Herbs, Vitamins, and Minerals
Living a healthy, relaxed lifestyle is important in controlling and preventing migraines. Performing exercises that promote muscle relaxation, getting sufficient sleep and rest can all help prevent migraine headaches.
Get Relief From Migraine Symptoms in Cypress
If you have reoccurring migraines or are experiencing a particularly bad headache, contact Right Choice Urgent Care for treatment. If you have any additional questions or concerns about diagnosing or treating migraines, please call our urgent care clinic in Cypress at (281) 944-7900 or check in online.